Monday, September 8, 2008

Saddle Up

We wanted to do something fun for labor day, but didn't want to battle crowds on a public hike or zion, so my mom suggested the Tuachan saddle back. She had a friend who had done the hike before and said it was a good one. We started out at Tuachan and hiked up over the moutain to the right of the stage. It got pretty hot, but luckily there was a little breeze. It felt way nice when we would hit an area of shade, but those were sparse because the trail was on the wrong side of the moutain. We made it up to the top and dropped over the other side of the saddle into Snow Canyon. It was such a pretty view. We decided the Snow Canyon side was prettier, and much easier because we were on the downhill. There were tons of huge prickly pear cactus plants growing wild on this side. They were so pretty. We got down to the sand and thought we were going to come out right on the road...wrong. We had about 3 more miles out to the road. It was a way fun hike and just the right amount of work out. I think we all concluded it's a good one to do in the evening because the sun would be behind the mountain and the whole thing would be in the shade. Maybe next time.

Prickley Pear Cactus


Snow Canyon


Pit stop on the way up...yay for the shade!

Looking back toward Tuachan...great view




7 comments:

Skye said...

looks like a good one! we'll have to do that one sometime!

Kassi said...

That looks like such a fun hike. My dad and I went to Zion for Labor Day and there really wasn't as many people as we thought there was going to be. I just think the Southern Utah is so pretty!! LOVE IT!

photography by Mikki said...

You guys are always up to something fun! And I love that you two are matching in the last picture too:) Glad to see you doing great- and hope school is going well too!

Heidi said...

Looks like fun! Your pictures are neat of the views. :) I hope school is going well for you. Wow I'm sure you're pretty busy. Hopefully we can find time to get together sometime! Love ya.

Nancy said...

Let's hurry and do that hike again before it gets too cold! Now that we know where the trail is, it will be a breeze! Anyone want to come?

Unknown said...

your mom is so fuuny! K i think a nasty bug is going around cause my whole household is sick:( dinner was way fun but i understand why you missed out!!! No hard feelings:) Love ya girl

Lindsay said...

Hi Lexie! That sounds like a really fun hike- I didn't even know that it was there. I hope school is going good for you (I'm sure it keeps you very busy)!